PDF stands for Portable Document Format and it was created by Adobe to ease document exchange. doPDF is a free PDF printer that does what the name suggests, creates PDF files. Once installed it will allow you to convert any type of printable documents to PDF files. doPDF installs itself as a virtual PDF printer driver so after a successful installation will appear in your Printers and Faxes list and also in the list of All Programs. Using doPDF you can convert to PDF in two ways:
Print to PDF via the virtual printer driver doPDF.
You would do this exactly as you print to a regular printer, just the result will be a PDF file, not a printed piece of paper.Open the document you want to convert (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPad, NotePad or any printable document), choose Print and select doPDF from the list of printers.
You will be asked where to save the PDF file and when finished, the PDF will be automatically opened with your default PDF reader.
Screenshot on the right shows how easy it is to create a PDF file from Microsoft Word.
Using the doPDF Startup window.
doPDF has an executable file (accessible from the start program group) that you can run in order to start a conversion wizard.
Go to Start->Programs->doPDF and click on doPDF to start the conversion wizard. Use the Browse button to select the file you want converted and after that click on Create to convert the document to PDF. Screenshot below shows how easy it is to convert to PDF from Microsoft Word:
9 Reasons to Use doPDF
- It’s simple and fast You select WHAT document to convert and WHERE to save it and doPDF makes the PDF way before you finish saying supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
- Saves you money doPDF is a PDF converter free for both commercial/business and personal use. Won’t cost you a dime to make PDF files (but we’ll love you even more if you upgrade to novaPDF).
- 32-bit and 64-bit support Same setup can be used to install doPDF on both 32 and 64-bit Windows operating systems (and any 32-bit multiple when the time will come).
- Universal You can convert to PDF any type of printable document (i.e. DOC, XLS, PPT, PUB, DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, PUBX, HTML, TXT,…).
- No Ghost Script Doesn’t require 3rd party programs to make PDF files such as Ghost Script. This makes the setup file to be incredibly small compared to other free PDF creator programs (Adobe Acrobat 4 is required for the installation).
- Searchable PDFs You can search for text within the created PDF file (and search engines will also index the text from the PDF).
- Multi-language doPDF is the ONLY free pdf maker whose interface is currently available in 33 different languages and has a website translated in 30 languages(and growing, thanks to our translators).
- Barely uses any computer resources Compared to other free PDF creator software, doPDF barely uses any memory or CPU resources when doing the actual conversion to PDF.
- Do your part in saving the planet Instead of consuming paper to print your document, why not create a PDF file out of it and spare a couple of planet-saving trees?
- Predefined page size You can select a predefined page size for the resulting PDF file such as: A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, B4/5, Letter, Legal, Executive, Envelope DL/C5/B5/Monarch/#10, ANSI, ARCH (50 different formats available)
- PDF output presets You can create high quality PDF files (i.e. for printing) or smaller files (i.e. for web publishing), depending on your needs. You can also choose to balance the two options by using the medium quality preset.
- Automatic updates We always recommend using the latest version of doPDF and its integrated automatic update engine will keep your version current. Update checks can be scheduled daily, weekly or monthly, but you can also disable this feature.
- Add Document info Add document information for the resulting PDF file that helps especially with indexing. You can add a PDF title, subject, author, keywords and PDF creator. These details will show up in the PDF metadata info displayed in the PDF viewer.
- Graphic scale The content of the resulting PDF can be shrunk to 1% off the original size, or enlarged up to 400%.
- Add in for Microsoft Office During installation you can install the novaPDF add-in for Microsoft Office. This allows doPDF to offer one-click conversion to PDF from Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Visio).
- PDF Links and Bookmarks (add-in only)When you convert PDFs using the add-in for Microsoft Office, you can convert bookmarks and links from the original document in the resulting PDF file.
- Always use this folder You can have doPDF create and save the PDF file to the same folder each time, no matter where you open the original document from.
- Embed font subsets To ensure that the resulting PDF file will look exactly as originally intended, doPDF embeds by default the font subsets used in the original document.
- Open with PDF reader You can choose to have the PDF opened with the default PDF reader once it’s converted.